One of the most important Church sites in Co. Meath is that of St Columba’s Church. It became part of the Church of Ireland (Anglican order) after the Reformation in the 15th century and the church was in ruins. It was rebuilt in 1578 on the instructions of Hugh Brady, Bishop of Meath, the Archdeacon of Meath. The only remaining portion of the mediaeval Church still standing, is the bell tower. From surviving records we know that the old Church was a large cruciform structure with a chancel and tower. The present Church was built in 1778. The spire on the bell tower was erected by Thomas, 1st Earl of Bective, in 1783. It was designed by Thomas Cooley and the stone-cutter employed was John Walsh. The Graveyard gate piers were also built for the Earl of Bective in 1783. The Church was altered in 1811, and again, in 1858, when the interior was re-ordered. In more recent times the Church roof was restored in 1965 and the interior re-decorated. Also, in 1965, the old disused Gallery was converted to exhibition space and display panels, recording the history of the monastic site, were erected. This is also used by musicians during religious ceremonies. The church itself can hold a congregation of 200 comfortably. The acoustics are generally good and there is pipe organ integrated into the altar.
St Columba – Kells