Roscommon is the county town of the County of Roscommon in the West of Ireland. It has a population of circa 5,500 people. Regarded as one of the most beautiful churches in Ireland The Church of the Sacred Heart designed by Walter Doolin, is flamboyant. The spire was added in 1916 by O’Callaghan and Webb. It was dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus on 18th June, 1903. The Sacred Heart Church is an important structure within Co. Roscommon’s principal town and is enriched by various materials and features. Interesting textural detail is provided by the combination of the rock-faced walls with fine sandstone dressings. This imposing church in the centre of Roscommon town is enhanced and complemented by the artistic execution of the carved detailing, mosaics, stained glass and interior decoration. The Parish has 1,500 families – this includes the outlying area of Kilteevan which has its own Church, dedicated to St. Joseph. The church of The Sacred Heart can hold a congregation of 500 people.
Sacred Heart – Roscommon Town