John Manners @ The ChurchMusic.ie Team
April 16, 2019
The parish of St Colmcille’s Swords, has an ancient history extending back as far as the 6th century. It was St Colmcille who brought Christianity to the area circa 560 AD. The current Church building was constructed in 1827 at a grand cost of £ 1,820.
The Church has undergone a few changes since then including the addition of a two storey vestry, carved marble altar rails and a copper-clad steeple. The Church itself is located on Church Lane which is roughly about 300 metres from the main street of Swords village. A congregation of about 300 people can be accommodated in the church and there is a pipe organ to be found on the choir balcony.
Browse local church musicians
Carnegie Court Hotel
Swords, Co. Dublin